9 Business Tips to Learn from The Walking Dead
Is running a business the same as running away from zombies? It may sound crazy but yes there are many similarities between the success of a company and man eating walking dead people. What happens when unexpected changes occur? How should we cope with it? Most importantly, how can we make the most out of it. With running a successful business, you will have to develop the ability to make sudden decisions, adapt to sudden changes, control your surroundings, provide strong leadership to your teams, and prepare for the worst.
There are several things you can learn from watching AMC’s The Walking Dead that will help you survive if one day there really was a zombie breakout. However, many of those lessons can also be applied to your work and business. Let’s take a look at some of them.
1) Be prepared to do what it takes for survival – You can gather weapons or build a fortress but whatever it is, you will have to get your hands dirty. Getting your hands dirty means doing whatever is necessary to reach your goals. It means being strong during tough times and coming out on top. Those who are willing to give it their all will definitely have the upper hand.
2) Build a strong network – Try to find someone you know and trust. It’s a good idea to be with someone else and to have someone you can count on because you can watch each other’s backs. Developing a network of strong and reliable people will help you in the long run. Do these people a favour and offer them a place to hide when zombies come chasing after them because you never know when you’re going to need a favour in return.
3) Research the best approach – The only way to kill a zombie is to aim for the head right? Make sure you know what you’re going to be aiming for.
4) Manage your resources – How do you get from point A to point B as hungry zombies chase after you? If you steal a car, try to pick one that’s good on gas. The same thing applies to business. Your capital is limited and you can only invest in so many ideas and courses of action. Take a step back and think carefully to make sure you pick the right ones.
5) Have a contingency plan – Stock up on food and water. If you have a gun, conserve the bullets and use it only when it’s necessary. Don’t fire all your bullets aimlessly and don’t keep all your bullets in one barrel. Having a backup plan not only protects you and your business, but will also help you stay alive.
6) Always plan ahead – It’s hard enough to keep yourself alive and you don’t want to get caught with an unexpected pregnancy during a zombie apocalypse like Lori Grimes. You don’t want to get caught in a situation that you don’t know how to handle.
7) Treat your team members with respect – Be a team player. You don’t want be like Merle Dixon.
8) Provide strong leadership – Every group in The Walking Dead has a leader but it’s not easy to be a good one. Try not to end up like the governor because we all know that’s not going to end well.
9) Stop working with stupid people – Sometimes teaming up with the wrong people can lower your chances of survival. Don’t work with dumbasses. Surround yourself with people who can benefit you and your business in the long run. Remember that not everyone who wants to help will provide good help.